Looking forward to a new year, we’ve compiled the three best and the three worst events of 2009.
1) Barack Obama is inaugurated as the 44th, and first African American, President of the United States.
2) Usain Bolt becomes world’s fastest man running 100m in 9.58 seconds.
3) Andrew Lloyd Webber beats the ‘nil points’ of Eurovision, gaining us 173 points.
And the worst …
1) Michael Jackson, American performer and recording artist (born 1958) dies after suffering a cardiac arrest.
2) Lethal H1N1 flu virus identified in Mexico, the epicentre of the ensuing global swine flu epidemic; Mexico closes all schools, cancels church services, shuts down restaurants.
3) Air France Flight 447, en route from Rio de Janeiro, Brazil to Paris, crashes into the Atlantic Ocean, killing all 228 on board.